Saturday, February 22, 2014

Burlap Wreath


I had this great idea, that probably isn't really my idea, to start a monthly craft day. Basically,  a few of my friends meet up to do a craft/recipe that we have pinned on Pinterest. This week was our first week and I'd say it was a success. 

Supplies:
-  Circular Metal Wire- base if the wreath- $2.99 
- Wire- to tie the ribbon- $2.99
- Scissors
- Wire cutters
- Glue Gun (optional)
- Basic Burlap- it really doesn't matter that width, but I used about 20 ft of the basic burlap. they come in rolls of 15 ft- $5.99
- Colorful Burlap- I chose aqua- $5.99
- Chevron Burlap- $9.99 (Used me 40% off coupon here)
**The fun part about this project is you can add/change so many things. There are numerous things you can add ribbon/flowers/monogram letters. Loah and Jenny (my friends) used yellow burlap and daisies.  
**Always ALWAYS remember to use a 40% off coupon if you go to Hobby Lobby. You can pull it up on your phone and easily save a little extra. 

Total Price: About $25.00  



So we started out by cutting the wire into 6-8 inch pieces and twisting them around the circular wire base. I twisted about 20 pieces total.  

This is Loah and Jenny. I promised them I would mention them in my blog. :)
















Next, once the wires are twisted and spread evenly around the base, we moved to the burlap. There really isn't a wrong way putting it on the wreath. I gathered/bunched the start piece and twisted the wire to secure the piece. As you can see below, I made a loop with the burlap, then bunched and twisted. I did that until I covered the entire base.     
At this point I was in craft mode and forgot to take anymore picture (sorry). Basically all I did was add the aqua by bunching (like I did with the other) and twisting with the same wire I used to fasten the plain burlap. I twisted on every other wire though to avoid an overwhelming amount of aqua. 

I cut the chevron into 7(ish) inch segments and bunched the ends together to make a loop and added them throughout with the wire I didn't use to fasten the aqua.

The bow was pretty easy. I folded the ribbon (see below) and used a piece of wire to secure the middle and then cut an extra piece of chevron to cover the wire.


I plan to add a wooden letter ("G" for our last name), but I forgot to buy paint to paint the letter the color I wanted. Loah and Jenny added their daisies as well. 

Love how they turned out!! Nice work ladies!



3 comments:

  1. Cute! I'm glad it went well! I hope I can join next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know when we plan another. It was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS FABULOUS! You must be an interior decorator!

    ReplyDelete