Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sloan Family Visit/ Kitchen Remodel

My parents came to visit! It was their Spring Break, although it probably didn't feel like a break. My dad, being the hoss that he is, tiled our entire kitchen and bathroom (I helped a little) and built a wall to close in a doorway. Daniel and I both had to work so my parents were stuck at the house all day.
We enjoyed their company, as always. The kitchen was pretty much out of commission, so we really didn't get to cook for them. Our good friends Ben, Jenny, and Loah were so sweet to cook dinner for all of us one night. I was also happy that my parents were able to meet some of our Houston friends and taste a little bit of what our life in Houston is like (which is awesome).

I always forget to take pictures when they are here, so, sorry Mom and Dad, I don't have any real proof that you were here except the tile progress.

This is a picture that was on the listing when the house was for sale from the previous owners.


   
Daniel and I prepped the floors before my parents came. 
Boy was that hard work!


   
My advice to anyone who decides to remove laminate floors is this: Invest in a heavy duty floor scraper or two (electric if you have a lot to do) and use water to loosen the glue. I didn't realize water would remove glue until we were halfway finished.... One blister and two broken scrapers later, we were finished prepping!


This used to be a doorway. It really didn't serve any purpose and we were in need for extra counter and drawer space, so we made it into a prep/pass through counter. We are still in the process of getting new counter tops for the entire kitchen and are planning to paint the cabinets. 



Ok Dad, maybe I do have proof that you were here! :) It's incredible how nicer tile makes our kitchen look. We love it! Thanks Dad for all your hard work! 


For my Birthday, my parents also surprised me with a new Texas star for the front of our house and a new chandelier for our dining room. When I asked how she knew that I wanted both of those, my mom told me that she got the ideas from my blog. At least I know that someone reads them. ;)


     So we now officially have one room completely finished in the house and a lot of work still to go!!



~ Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment